The Boland Centre
|Boland’s, c.1928. State Library of Queensland image|
|Boland’s, 2014. Image: Trisha Fielding|
This building was built in 1912/13 for Michael Boland, an Irish immigrant who came to
Australia in the 1880s and became a successful
businessman and prominent citizen in Cairns. This ornate and striking building occupies
the corner of Lake and Spence Streets and is one of the earliest examples in
region of the use of concrete to construct large buildings. The three-storey building housed a large
department store and continues to be used for commercial purposes today. It is a rare surviving example of its kind –
that is, a large, pre-World War I department store.
Former Adelaide Steamship Co. building
Adelaide Steamship Co. Ltd, 1976Image:
|Former Adelaide Steamship Co. Ltd, 2014Image: Trisha Fielding|
This building was built in 1910 for the Adelaide Steamship Company Limited, which had been established in
Adelaide in 1875. The company had established a branch in Cairns around 1905, but was operating as an agency in Cairns as early as 1895. The Queensland Heritage Register describes the
building style as a tropical adaptation of the “Arts and Crafts”, a style that
started in Europe. A local heritage trail brochure describes it
as “Spanish Revival Style”. It was built
contractors Wilson & Baillie, at a cost of almost £3,000.
Adelaide Steamship Company’s SS Manunda,
Image: State Library of Queensland.
Office of the
Post newspaper Cairns
|Cairns Post building, c. 1930Image:
State Library of |
The history of newspapers is often a bit tricky to chart, and the Cairns Post appears to have gone through a few different incarnations. The Cairns Post was started in the early 1880s by Frederick Wimble in a small building in
Lake Street. It was later called the Cairns Morning Post and in 1909 it was renamed the Cairns Post. The building that exists today in Abbott Street was built in 1908 and designed by architect
Harvey Draper. It was originally only
the first three bays on the left and was extended to its present size in 1924.